Major and Minor

Chicana and Chicano Studies (CCS) Major

The B.A. program in Chicana and Chicano Studies is committed to the practice of different forms of scholarship and pedagogy and to the promotion of critical thinking about such issues as gender, sexuality, social action, language, race, ethnicity, class, assimilation/acculturation paradigms, and indigenous traditions. The literary and visual arts often function as vehicles for social change and creative empowerment, and so they constitute one focus of the curriculum, that aims to strike a balance among the social sciences, humanities, arts, and the professions. The major prepares students for graduate education in academic and professional fields and for a variety of positions that involve community and social service in the U.S. and abroad.

Major Requirements:

Lower Division Course Requirements:

  • Chicana/o Studies 10A: Introduction to Chicana/o Studies: History and Culture
  • Chicana/o Studies 10B: Introduction to Chicana/o Studies: Social Structure and Contemporary Conditions
  • Spanish 5, 7B, or Equivalent

Upper Division Course Requirements (11):

  • CCAS 101 – Theoretical Concepts in Chicana/Chicano Studies and Central American Studies
  • One Community-Engaged course from 100XP, M105XP, M164XP, M170XP, or from the approved list available in the department office each term.
  • Two Related Study courses from the approved list of courses outside the department (related study includes courses that provide a comparative perspective to Chicana and Chicano studies and/or a contextualization of Chicana and Chicano communities in the world).
  • One Advanced Seminar: Chicana/o Studies 188, 191, or another course by petition to the department Chair
  • A Concentration of Four Courses in One Area listed below and Two Courses in a Second Area
    • Border and Transnational Studies: M110, 120, M124, 125, M126, 132, 143, M144, M147, 151, 152, M154, M155, M156A, M156B, 163, 176, 184, 191
    • Expressive Arts: M103C, M103D, M103G, 104, M108A, M115, M116, 117, M135, M175, M185, M186A, M186AL, M186B, M186BL, M186C, M186CL, M187, 188, 191
    • History, Literature, and Language of the Americas: M105A, M105B, M105C, M105D, M105E, 105F, 109, M110, 111, M114, 131, 132, M133, M139, 141, 142, 143, 157, M158, M159A, M159B, 160, 168A, 168B, 169, 171, M173, 181, M182, M183, 184, M187, 188
    • Labor, Law, and Policy Studies: M102, M106, 119, 120, M121, M122, 123, M127, M128, 129, M130, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, M156A, M156B, 165, 166, M174A, M174B, M174C, CM177, 178, 179, 188, 191

Transfer Students:

Transfer applicants to the Chicana and Chicano Studies major with 90 or more units must complete as many of the following introductory courses as possible prior to admission to UCLA:

  • One interdisciplinary Chicana/Chicano history and culture course
  • One interdisciplinary Chicana/Chicano social structure and contemporary conditions course
  • Five quarter terms of Spanish

(Refer to the UCLA Transfer Admission Guide at for up-to-date information regarding transfer selection for admission.)

*No more than 8 units of 188, 191, and 199 courses may be applied toward the major; enrollment in the courses must be approved in writing by the department chair. Each major course must be taken for a letter grade, and students must have an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better.

Chicana and Chicano Studies (CCS) Minor

The Chicana/o Studies minor complements study in another traditional field

Students participating in the Minor are required to complete both a departmental major in another discipline and the Chicana and Chicano Studies minor. To enter the minor, students must have an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better and file a petition with the student adviser. All minor courses must be taken for a letter grade, with an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better. Successful completion of the minor is indicated on the transcript and diploma.

Required Lower Division Courses (10 units)

  • Chicana/o Studies 10A: Introduction to Chicana/o Studies: History and Culture
  • Chicana/o Studies 10B: Introduction to Chicana/o Studies: Social Structure and Contemporary Conditions

Required Upper Division Courses (20 units minimum)

  • Chicana/o Studies 101: Theoretical Concepts in Chicana/o Studies
  • Four elective courses selected from the approved list

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, you can have more than one minor and a maximum of three. The Chicana/o Studies Department offers a minor, which consists of two lower division courses and five upper division courses which 2 of the 5 can overlap from your primary major or minor.

If you are requesting credit for courses completed outside of UCLA, please bring a copy of the class description. A departmental petition needs to be submitted to the curriculum committee. See the student advisor for more details. Once approved, your departmental counselor will process your course substitution/exemption online, therefore updating your DARS instantly.

Your option would be to take upper division courses. However, if you have not completed the lower division courses, you may have to enroll in one of the required lower division courses.

Yes, it can be completed using a Language Proficiency Exam, UCLA coursework, or Study Abroad Program.

If you scored 3 on the Spanish AP exam, you will need to enroll in Spanish V or Spanish 7B. For more information regarding the Spanish courses please go to:

It depends. You need to check the articulation agreement between UCLA and the community college that you would be attending. Some of the agreements with the local community colleges can be found here.

Yes.  Some of our students go to Mexico through the Summer Travel Programs and fulfill the language requirement by taking Spanish.  Check here for more information:

All courses for the preparation for the major and minor must be taken for a grade, or they cannot be used for the major or minor.

The following resource will provide you with steps to enroll in an SRP 99 or CCAS 199 course.

SRP How to Enroll on MyUCLA 2020-2021

 Service Learning courses are designed to give UCLA students the opportunity to connect their coursework with projects at off-campus community organizations. 

Chicana/o Studies 188 is special sponsored experimental or temporary courses such as those taught by visiting faculty. May be repeated for credit. CS188 seminars are offered throughout the academic year.

Yes. If you take up to 2 CS188’s. One can be used to replace the CS191 requirement, the other CS188’s will count under your Camino- see advisor so that the CS188 will be place in the correct camino.

The Center for Community Learning assists students, faculty and community-based sites with internship courses through several academic departments. Consult the chart on our website for details about available courses.  You can enroll in a CS M195CE Comparative Approaches to Community and Corporate Internships but you must have already secured a corporate, non-profit, or government internship, have a Junior or senior standing (completed at least 90 units),  be in  good academic standing (at least 3.0 GPA) and no incomplete grades in any 195-199 independent study courses

199’s are independent studies courses in which you work directly with a professor on a course of study agreed upon by both of you. To enroll in a course, print out the 199 form My.UCLA Contract Courses link and fill it out. The instructor must then sign the form. Bring the form back to a departmental counselor so that the Departmental Chair will sign it and proceed to approve your course.  CS199 could be from 2 to 4 units depending on the contract.  May not be applied toward departmental major or minor requirements.

You should check your study list during the quarter to be sure that you are actually enrolled in the classes that you think you are enrolled. (Note: If you are on STILL on the waitlist by Friday of the second week of classes, the system will automatically drop you. No exceptions.)

You should also check your My.UCLA/DARS after the quarter is over for grades. If you have any questions about grades, you should contact the instructor as soon as possible, because instructors are only required to keep final exams and coursework for one regular quarter after the quarter in which you took the class.

This depends on what kinds of issues you have to discuss! Feel free to drop in regularly to be sure you are on the right track, for advice on enrolling in classes, and to ask any questions that you might have. If you have questions regarding College requirements rather than the Chicana/o Studies major or minor requirements, you should visit a counselor in your counseling unit:

Honors, A-311 Murphy

AAP, 1209 Campbell

Athletics, JD Morgan Center

Letters & Science, A-316 Murphy

Chicana and Chicano Studies Counselor, Ellie Hernandez, 7351 Bunche Hall

It is the student’s responsibility to initiate the paperwork to remove the Incomplete. The professor must file the paperwork with our office to remove the incomplete.

Once a grade is assigned, it should be changed only in cases of clerical or procedural errors in calculating and assigning grades. Reexaminations or additional assignments are not permitted.

An incomplete will always remain on your transcript for the quarter in which you took the class; it does not disappear. The final grade will show up on your transcript in the quarter in which the work was actually submitted.

You can repeat up to 16 units of coursework for which you received a C- or below. The grade for the second time (for better or worse) will be calculated into your GPA. Please note that the original grade will always remain on your transcript; it is simply not calculated into your UCLA GPA. After 16 units, or if you did not receive a C- or below, it is classified as an “illegal repeat” and you will not receive any grade or unit credit for the class. You may only repeat a course once.

If you feel that there was an error, please contact the professor or Teaching Assistant directly. We have no authorization to change any grades.

“Upper division” courses are courses numbered between 100-199. “Lower division” courses are numbered between 1-99. The College of Letters & Science requires 60 units of upper division coursework. The Chicana/o Studies major requires at least 60 units of upper division coursework towards the major (12 upper division courses); the remaining 12 units can be courses from other departments.

Yes. The major in Chicana/o Studies has a Related Course requirement: two related study courses.   Related study includes courses that provide a comparative perspective to Chicana and Chicano studies and/or a contextualization of Chicana and Chicano communities in the world can be taken in other departments.  Consult with the Student advisor for a current list.

See our honor’s page. You may also wish to consult with the departmental counselor.

If the work is not completed by the end of the next full term in enrolled, the I (Incomplete) grade lapses to an F or NP as appropriate. The College or school may extend the completion deadline in unusual cases (Blue Petition is required).

Yes. However, by regulation an auditor cannot actively participate in class. In addition, the instructor is not obligated to correct any work completed by an auditor.  Consult with the instructor the first day of classes.

Please note: The audited course will not appear on your transcript. No credit is assigned for audited courses.

If you have a conflict with the final exam schedule, you must notify the instructor before the fourth week of classes. Your eligibility for the make-up exam is determined by University policy. For the final exam only, if you can prove that you have a conflict with another class exam you may qualify to take a make-up. Please discuss this with your instructor ASAP.

Yes. However, arrangements will only be made for students that have registered with the Center of Accessible Education (for more information about CAE visit their website at: by the end of the first week of classes. If you are a student registered with CAE,  then you must inform the instructor that you will be requiring special arrangements by the end of the first week of classes. If you are not registered with CAE and/or do not inform the instructor by the end of the first week of classes then special arrangements cannot be made.

Yes. Tutoring is available through the Academic Advancement Program (AAP). This service is available to AAP students. If you would like more information about AAP please visit their website at:

Talk to a Counseling Assistant at Letters and Science (A-316 Murphy) about applying to graduate programs. You can also check out the AAP graduate mentor program which has information on things to consider about going to graduate school, choosing a graduate program, applications, letters of recommendations, writing personal statements, etc. Another resource is the Career Center which has references regarding the numerous programs offered.